Welcome to our series of webinars and legal briefings from the Southeast Asia Energy and Infrastructure Practice. We explore the the recent developments of importance for investors, developers, lenders and contractors in both the legal and commercial space for South East Asia.
DECARBONISING ASIA AND BEYOND: STRATEGIES FOR DEALING WITH CARBON-INTENSIVE ASSETS
7 October 2021
Our panel of senior energy lawyers finishes out the Decarbonising Asia and Beyond series joined by representatives of Cantor Fitzgerald and ERM to discuss the following topics:
- Given the pressures on companies to decarbonise, what approaches are companies taking to address carbon-intensive assets in their portfolios and what are the biggest challenges companies face on their path to decarbonising portfolios?
- What steps are governments around Asia taking to encourage companies to decarbonise their portfolios and move away from fossil fuels?
- How has the financing climate for carbon-intensive assets evolved over time and what is the outlook for financing of new carbon-intensive assets?
- Given the cost of decommissioning and repurposing carbon-intensive assets, what can regulators and other stakeholders do to support energy transition?
Speakers: Irina Akentjeva (moderator), Dhani Maulana Pattinggi, Jon Meier (Managing Partner, Asset Retirement Services - Asia Pacific, ERM), Michiel Prompers (Managing Director, Head of APAC - Investment Banking, Cantor Fitzgerald)
DECARBONISING ASIA AND BEYOND: SUSTAINABLE INVESTING IN ASIA
23 September 2021
The third Decarbonising Asia and Beyond webinar finds our senior energy lawyers joined by representatives of ERM and SUSI Partners to address the following topics:
- What are some recent trends and developments in sustainable investing, from the perspectives of lawyers, lenders and investors?
- How do we conduct due diligence on ESG factors and assess key ESG risks?
- How do investors deploy resources to have the greatest positive ESG impact, and what support do they need to do so?
- What are some of the ESG “blind spots” companies and regulators should be aware of when assessing sustainability of projects in renewable power sector?
Speakers: Irina Akentjeva (moderator), Glynn Cooper, Antony Crockett, Trista Chen (Partner, ERM), Pamela Chan (Vice President, ESG, SUSI Partners)
DECARBONISING ASIA AND BEYOND: THE HYDROGEN ECONOMY IN ASIA PACIFIC
2 September 2021
Our panel of senior energy lawyers is joined in the second Decarbonising Asia and Beyond webinar by representatives of CIBC, ENGIE and KBR in the second session of the Decarbonising Asia and Beyond series, to give an overview of Asia Pacific's transition to hydrogen and address the following issues:
- What does a hydrogen economy look like in Asia Pacific?
- What are some challenges and benefits of hydrogen production, storage and transportation?
- What emerging trends are we seeing with respect to offtake and project structuring?
- What regulatory barriers does the hydrogen economy face?
Speakers: Alison Dodd (moderator), Matthew Goerke, Adam Janikowski (Asian Investment Banking, ESG Lead, CIBC), Jerome Hamilton (Senior Legal Counsel, ENGIE), Scott Badger (Energy Transition Director APAC, KBR)
DECARBONISING ASIA AND BEYOND: ENERGY TRANSITION AND TECHNOLOGY OPTIONS TO ACHIEVE NET ZERO TARGETS
24 August 2021
In the first session of the Decarbonising Asia and Beyond series, our panel of senior energy lawyers are joined by representatives of KBR and Jefferies to discuss what decarbonisation means for Asia, including:
- What factors are driving the energy transition?
- How do we finance the net zero transformation?
- Approaches to decarbonisation – what lessons can we learn from strategies adopted in the EU, and what are the differences in Asia?
- What will be the impact of decarbonisation on investment decisions and M&A activity in Asia?
This four-part webinar series explores what the future of energy may look like in Asia and beyond. In each session, panellists will discuss one of four key issues. These include energy transition technologies, the hydrogen economy, sustainable investing and dealing with carbon-intensive legacy assets in the conventional energy sector. The panels will feature industry representatives and senior lawyers from our Global Energy practice. They will offer legal and commercial perspectives and consider practical implications as businesses embark on their decarbonisation journey towards a net zero future.
Speakers: Irina Akentjeva (moderator), Lewis McDonald, Calvin Ho, Daniel Jaouiche (Global M&A and Transaction Advisory Lead, KBR), Hartley Clay (Head of Asia Pacific Energy Investment Banking, Jefferies)
INDONESIA’S NEW INVESTMENT LIST: LIBERALISATION OF FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE ENERGY, RESOURCES AND INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS
3 March 2021
The Indonesian government has published its long-awaited new investment list, under Presidential Regulation No. 10 of 2021 regarding Investment Sectors (the New Investment List), which sets out important new foreign investment rules for a raft of sectors in Indonesia. It will replace Presidential Regulation No. 44 of 2016 (known as the 2016 Negative List) when the New Investment List takes effect on 4 March 2021. See our recent publication on the overall background and framework of the New Investment List here.
The New Investment List contains significant changes to foreign direct investment in Indonesia which were foreshadowed by the enactment in November 2020 of Indonesia’s watershed Law No. 11 of 2020 regarding Job Creation (the Omnibus Law), including the liberalisation of certain important business segments within the Energy, Resources & Infrastructure (ERI) sectors.
VIETNAM – RENEWABLE ENERGY ROUND UP
24 September 2020
Including guest speakers from Vietnamese law firms DFDL and Lexcomm, this webinar will update you on recent developments in the wind and solar sectors in Vietnam. We will cover the impact of recent legislative changes, the impact of Covid-19, and future trends for renewable energy in Vietnam (including reverse auctions and spot markets).
Speakers: Daniel Waldek, William Stroll, Hanh Tran (Partner, DFDL Vietnam), Pham Ba Linh (Managing Partner, Lexcomm Vietnam LLC)
DISTRESSED ENERGY AND INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS IN SOUTHEAST ASIA
19 August 2020
Many energy and infrastructure projects are facing difficulties at this time. Supply chains are stressed, manpower is constrained, and other execution costs are increasing. These factors can result in a project becoming distressed and, potentially, failing to complete. In this webinar our award-winning energy and infrastructure team will share lessons learned from regional distressed projects and explore how best to navigate these issues.
Speakers: Glynn Cooper, Irina Akentjeva, Tomas Furlong, Daniel Waldek
INDONESIAN LEGAL AND REGULATORY UPDATE FOR THE ENERGY, RESOURCES AND INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS
23 July 2020
Recent months have seen some significant legal and regulatory changes and policy developments affecting energy, resources and infrastructure projects in Indonesia, with a trend towards generally improving investment conditions, including for international investors. A highly experienced panel of speakers based in Jakarta will offer practical insights on these and other developments in Indonesia.
Speakers: David Dawborn, Dhani Maulana Pattinggi, Matthew Goerke, Renny Soependi, Aditya Rachman