Tommy advises multinational and domestic Chinese corporates, financial institutions and private equity firms on a wide range of mergers and acquisitions transactions, including public takeovers, private investments, cross-border acquisitions and joint ventures. Besides mergers and acquisitions, Tommy also advises clients on capital markets, Hong Kong Stock Exchange regulatory matters, corporate governance and crisis management. He uses his multidisciplinary expertise to provide clients with valuable insight into complex transactions involving public and private elements, ensuring effective transaction planning, execution and compliance, whilst delivering commercial outcomes. Tommy is a Fellow of The Chartered Governance Institute, and regularly contributes to the development of good corporate governance for Hong Kong companies.
- China Resources Capital Management Limited on its acquisition of CitySuper Group, operator of the premium food and lifestyle supermarket chain in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taiwan
- Alibaba on its strategic equity and convertible debt investment in E-house China, a China-based, Hong Kong listed online property brokerage group
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of Asia (Hong Kong) Limited on its joint venture with Tencent, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Hillhouse and Mr. Adrian Cheng to establish Fusion Bank, a licensed virtual bank in Hong Kong
- Ant Financial Group in its consortium acquisition of MassMutual Asia alongside Yunfeng Financial Group
- China Resources (Holdings) on its establishment of a private equity investment joint venture platform with VerlinVest S.A.
- The Technology Crossover Fund in its consortium investment in Klook alongside Sequoia and Softbank
- Ant Financial Group in relation to its equity investment in BluePay Capital, an e-commerce operator with operations in Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand.
- Vision Credit Group, a China-based, Hong Kong listed micro-finance provider on its equity investment by TPG China
- Ping An Insurance Group on its acquisition of the Mayborn Group from 3i
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) in relation to its acquisition of Fortis Bank Asia HK
- Huawei Technologies in relation to the establishment of a submarine turnkey solutions joint venture with Global Marine Systems
- Shaw Holdings on its disposal of its controlling interest in TVB, the leading free-to-air broadcaster in Hong Kong, to a consortium including Providence Equity Partners, Dr. Charles Chan and Madam Cher Wang (co-founder of HTC Corp and Via Technologies)
- SAIF partners, Hony Capital and IDG on their consortium management buyout and mandatory takeover offer for Digital China
- The A-List 2020 China’s Elite 100 Lawyers (Foreign Firms)
China Business Law Journal, 2020
- Leading individual – Corporate/M&A, China/Hong Kong
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014-2022
Tommy's expertise is widely recognised in a number of legal practitioners guides, including Who's Who Legal, Chambers Asia, Legal 500, IFLR 1000 and PLC Which Lawyer?.