Patrick is the Global Head of our Infrastructure Practice. He has over 25 years' experience advising public bodies, sponsors and institutional investors on Project Development and Mergers & Acquisitions in the Infrastructure sector.
Legal 500 ranks Patrick as a Leading Individual for rail ("he has vast experience in the rail sector"); and recommends him for his expertise in Infrastructure and for Water.
Chambers 2018 lists Patrick as a Leading Individual for Infrastructure ("he has a wealth of experience advising in Energy, Rail and Utilities Assets. Impressed sources note that he "does big deals""); and for Projects ("he is a real pleasure to work with. He has a soothing attitude and a fantastic brain").
Career highlights include acting for London and Continental Railways on the development, financing and sale of HS1 and leading the HSF team advising the Bazalgette Consortium on its successful bid for Thames Tideway Tunnel.
His experience includes advising:
- Ancala Partners on its acquisition of 100% of International Energy Group, a leading natural gas and LPG distribution and supply business located in Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man
- an Asian sovereign wealth fund on its proposed acquisition of an European airport
- BAA on the formation, development and funding of the Heathrow Express and its subsequent acquisition of the asset
- BG Group on its acquisition of 50% of the equity in the Dragon LNG Project in South Wales.
- The Bazalgette Consortium (Allianz Capital Partners, Amber Infrastructure, Dalmore Capital and DIF) on its successful bid to become Infrastructure Provider for the £4.2 billion Tideway "super sewer", and the Tideway vehicle in relation to the project
- BG on the development and financing of the Dragon LNG terminal in South Wales
- a confidential bidder on the proposed acquisition of 51% of National Grid's gas distribution networks in the UK
- a confidential client on the proposed acquisition of a minority equity interest in the Beatrice Offshore Wind Farm from Repsol
- a Consortium on its bid to acquire the UK Government's interest in Eurostar
- DIF in relation to the divestment of a portfolio of European Energy and Infrastructure Investments
- DIF, InfraRed and Allianz Capital Partners on the acquisition of Affinity Water from InfraCapital and Morgan Stanley
- Ėlectricité de France on the development of the new Sizewell Nuclear Power Station
- GIC on the acquisition of a 49% interest in Railpool, a European rolling stock lessor
- High Speed 1 in relation to operational and regulatory matters including on track and station access and usage arrangements
- High Speed 2 Ltd on the development and construction of the HS2 railway – the most significant railway project in the United Kingdom and Europe
- an infrastructure fund on its bid for Freightliner Group, an international freight and logistics operator, which operates in the UK, Australia and Europe
- a Japanese trading house on the acquisition and development of railway and related transport infrastructure in Mozambique between 2014 and 2015
- London & Continental Railways throughout the entirety of the development and construction of High Speed 1 including:
- its successful bid to be awarded the Concession for the construction and operation of the High Speed railway line in the UK
- the acquisition of Eurostar (UK) and Union Railways
- several restructurings and financings of High Speed 1 and the LCR group
- the development of the new regulatory regime for High Speed 1 and negotiation of the new High Speed 1 Concession
- the privatisation of High Speed 1 and its sale to Borealis and OTPP
- London Underground on its Public Private Partnerships and its Power Services Contract
- Macquarie European Infrastructure on its acquisition of the global infrastructure and concession investments of Kvaerner, including the M6 Toll Motorway, the QE2 Crossing and Lisbon Airport
- Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund on its acquisition of the Wales & West Gas Distribution Network from National Grid Transco in the UK for £1.2 billion
- The Mallard (Amber/Dalmore/GLIL) Consortium on its bid to acquire High Speed 1
- Nakilep Overseas on its proposed investment in Polkovia Airport, the biggest secondary market infrastructure transaction in Russia
- Noble Group on the acquisition of the UK private finance initiative portfolio of Edison International, including Inverness Airport, the refinancing of the portfolio and its subsequent sale to Infrastructure Investors
- the Serco/Dutch Railways consortium on its successful bid for the Northern Rail Franchise
- Stagecoach on the restructuring of its Deep Alliance with Network Rail
- Sumitomo Corporation on the Kuala Lumpur/Singapore High Speed Railway Line
- Transport for London in relation to the extension and upgrade of the East London Railway Line
- Transmission Capital Partners on its Burbo Bank Extension, Race Bank & Dudgeon OFTO bids
- Viking Energy Wind Farm on the proposed Viking Wind Farm in the Shetlands
- Viking Energy, an independent gas producer, on its financing and refinancing
- Zuid Rail Group (a consortium of Bechtel, Amey, Nuon and Dura Vermeer) in connection with its tender for the Dutch High Speed Link (South) project
Patrick has a Master of Arts in Law from the University of Cambridge.
Patrick was admitted as a Solicitor of Supreme Court of England and Wales in 1988.