Mike is a corporate lawyer who specialises in advising listed companies and investment banks on corporate finance transactions across a range of sectors, including financial services, industrials, energy and natural resources, telecommunications and real estate.
Mike leads our UK ECM team and regularly advises on IPOs and secondary capital raisings for a range of corporate and bank clients. He also frequently advises on public takeovers and private M&A transaction and regularly assists listed companies with corporate governance issues.
Mike has been listed as a leading lawyer in the IFLR 1000, Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. Clients say "He is technically strong, commercial and practical in his advice. Most importantly, he's a pleasure to work with".
Mike's experience includes advising:
- IPOs of companies including EverArc, AO World, Resolution, BlueBay, Wellstream and Nufcor Uranium
- Secondary capital raises by companies including Hammerson, Saga, Unite Group, WH Smith, Phoenix Group, Synthomer, Elementis, The Weir Group, Lonmin, GKN, Cineworld, Premier Foods, Rio Tinto, Wolesley, Kin & Carter and STV
- Takeovers of companies including TSB Banking Group, Polyus Gold, Cazenove Capital, Phaunos Timber Group, Northern Foods, Arriva, BlueBay, Resolution and Taylor Nelson Sofres
- The Weir Group on transactions including its $1.3bn acquisition of ESCO Corporation, £275 million disposal of its flow control division and $405 million disposal of its oil and gas division
- Barclays on transactions including London Stock Exchange’s $27 billion acquisition of Refinitiv, €4.3 billion disposal of Borsa Italiana and abandoned €27 billion merger with Deutsche Börse, Tesco’s £3 billion acquisition of Booker Group, £4.2 billion disposal of Homeplus and £8.2 billion disposal of its Thai and Malaysian businesses, and Pennon’s £4.2 billion disposal of Viridor
- A wide variety of transactions in the asset management sector including the disposal of controlling interests in Longview Partners and Veritas Asset Management, the acquisition by Man Group of Aalto Invest, the takeover of BlueBay by Royal Bank of Canada and the takeover of Cazenove Capital by Schroders.
Mike has a Bachelor of Laws degree in Law from Nottingham University and joined Herbert Smith after law school. He became a partner in the firm in 2013. Mike has spent time on secondment at BP and Citi and in the Amsterdam office of a leading Benelux law firm.