Gavin has extensive experience of cross-border corporate transactions, including public company takeovers, private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, public securities offerings, capital reconstructions and demergers. He acts for financial investors, corporates and investment banks.
In addition to his advisory work, Gavin has spent time seconded to longstanding client EDF and the investment banking legal team of a major investment bank. He has also served as General Counsel for the continental European arm of another global bank.
Clients single out Gavin for “the breadth and depth of his technical expertise and capability” and his “problem-solving skills and responsiveness”.
Gavin continues to play a key role in driving the firm's response to Brexit and has advised a number of clients and market participants on the implications for business. He is also regularly invited to comment on international trade and investment, cross-border M&A, Brexit and related issues in the media.
Gavin has advised:
- GIC and a confidential institutional investor on their acquisitions from GIP of minority interests in container terminal operator TIL
- a sovereign wealth fund and leading infrastructure investor in relation to their bid for North Sea Midstream Partners
- DWS and Corsair on their marketing for sale of their stakes in Kelda (Yorkshire Water)
- QSuper on their investment in Heathrow Airport
- CBRE Caledon on its equity consortium arrangements in relation to its investment in Norled ferries
- the Bazalgette Consortium comprising Amber Infrastructure, Dalmore Capital, Allianz and DIF on all aspects of its successful bid for the new Thames Tideway Tunnel Project, the £4.2 billion super-sewer under London
- GIC on its acquisition of a 50% stake in Railpool from Oaktree Capital Management and the syndication by Oaktree of two 25% stakes
- GIC and EDF Invest on their bid for a 40% stake in Eurostar
- a leading infrastructure investor on its consortium bid for the Bayer stake in Currenta
- a leading infrastructure fund on its bid for Median clinics
- EDF on its £12.5 billion takeover of British Energy and on the negotiation of its subsequent UK joint ventures in relation to the £35 billion development of new nuclear power plants in the UK
- T-Corp in relation to its acquisition of a minority interest in Kelda (Yorkshire Water)
- Deutsche Bank on the monetisation of its investment in Alliance Boots on its $6.7 billion disposal by funds controlled by KKR and Stefano Pessina to Walgreens
- Carlyle in relation to its €100 million acquisition from ConAgra Foods of certain nutrition businesses in Spain and Portugal
- Goldman Sachs on its direct investment of late-stage venture capital in a leading European online retailer of furniture and homewares
- Hellman & Friedman on the $1.8 billion merger of two portfolio companies to form Ellucian