Emma is a Partner in the firm’s award-winning Banking Litigation practice in the United Kingdom.
Emma advises a range of clients in relation to complex civil claims, in particular those arising from investment and retail banking products. She has extensive experience of English High Court and Commercial Court proceedings, as well as acting in cross-border and offshore proceedings, and regulatory and internal financial sector investigations.
Emma was a key member of the team representing RBS Group in defending actions brought by shareholder and investor groups in connection with its 2008 rights issue. She also understands in-house legal operations, having been seconded to a number of investment and retail banks in the UK, where she has worked on high-profile national and international issues, including a number of internal and external regulatory investigations.
Whilst working in HSF's Tokyo office, Emma was admitted as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (England & Wales) and advised on a number of multi-jurisdiction matters, including high value LCIA proceedings with associated BVI claims. She also gained experience of advising on matters and interim applications before the Tokyo District Court (Japan), HKIAC and the High Court of India.
Emma is a member of HSF's decision analysis team, assisting clients in the decision making process using their expertise in complex disputes and decision science techniques.
Emma's experience includes advising:
- RBS in defending actions brought by shareholder and investor groups in connection with the group's 2008 rights issue. The claimant groups comprised approximately 36,000 investors, seeking compensation of around £4 billion
- a large commercial bank in relation to a claim arising from the collapse of a structured investment product and associated interim proceedings
- a large commercial bank in relation to a number of interest rate swap disputes
- a large private bank in relation to a past business review and series of mis-selling claims in the High Court, arising from a life assurance structured investment product
- a major investment bank in a dispute involving a failure to pay by a counterparty to a letter of credit
Emma has a BA in Law from the University of Oxford. She trained with Herbert Smith in London and Paris. As an associate, Emma spent time on secondment to Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley and Coutts and two years in HSF's Tokyo office.