Edward is a finance lawyer with a broad emerging markets practice covering energy finance, acquisition finance, investment grade loans and real estate finance.
In recent years, Edward has also developed a contentious and non-contentious restructuring practice and has extensive experience of multi-jurisdictional debt enforcement and asset tracing actions, in both civil and criminal cases. He has also appeared as an expert witness on English finance law in the Russian courts.
Edward headed the firm's Russian finance practice from 2011 – 2016, which is currently ranked in Tier 1 by each of Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR 1000. In 2016, Edward relocated to South Africa to open the firm's Johannesburg office and become its first managing partner.
Edward's experience includes advising:
- BNP Paribas and Standard Chartered Bank in relation to a US$2 billion pre-export finance facility for BP Angola
- ABN AMRO, Barclays, BNP Paribas, Calyon, Deutsche Bank, HSBC and others in relation to many of Rosneft's secured syndicated loans since 2001, totalling around US$25 billion
- ABN AMRO, Dresdner Bank and others on a US$13.1 billion acquisition facility for Gazprom to purchase Sibneft from Roman Abramovich
- Société Générale and others on a US$7.45 billion acquisition facility for Gazprom to purchase Shell's stake in the Sakhalin II oil and gas development
- VTB Group on US$3.19 billion of secured facilities for the acquisition of a 49% stake in Russneft from AFK Sistema by other shareholders of Russneft
- Renaissance Capital in relation to a loan facility to South African oil company Sacoil
- "very user-friendly" lawyer, "makes sure the deal is done to the mutual benefit of the borrowers and the banks" – Chambers Europe
- "Baring "is an absolute star in the market, very good, always leads on deals, very commercial"" - IFLR1000
- "Lawyers like Baring are rare; he has excellent knowledge of his clients, is great in negotiations and is extremely personable" - Chambers Global