Chris has significant experience of acting for clients with commercial disputes across various sectors and geographies, but has a particular focus on disputes work involving banks and financial buyers. His experience includes advising on complex contractual disputes, class actions, shareholder and joint venture disputes, partnership and LLP disputes, economic torts, fraud and conspiracy, asset tracing, professional negligence, insolvency disputes, employment-related disputes and privacy and defamation issues.
Chris is President of the London Solicitors Litigation Association (the LSLA), which has over 3000 members and helps to shape civil justice reform and promote best practice in litigation.
Chris was described as a 'creative problem solver' in Legal 500 UK 2021 and having a ‘formidable reputation’ in Legal 500 UK 2020. He has also previously featured in The Legal Business Disputes Yearbook 2015 and among Legal Week’s list of Litigation Rising Stars for 2016.
Chris' experience includes advising:
- BNP Paribas in relation to high profile High Court proceedings issued by Vestia, the Dutch social housing authority, in connection with certain historic derivatives transactions. Vestia seeks restitution and/or damages in excess of €300 million
- JPMorgan in relation to high profile High Court proceedings issued by The Libyan Investment Authority in connection with a $200 million transaction known as the Allegro Note
- G4S Plc in relation to its defence of two sets of high profile proceedings brought by various shareholders in the company, under section 90A and schedule 10A of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA). The claims relate to allegedly false and misleading statements or omissions made by G4S regarding its billing practices between 2011 and 2013. In March 2021, the High Court ruled in favour of G4S to strike out approximately 90% of the quantum of the claims in the first set of proceedings
- Marsh/JLT in relation to various high profile team moves to competitor brokers
- a leading asset manager in relation to various disputes with one of its co-founders, who has since established a competing business
- VTB Bank in relation to substantial High Court and arbitral claims against various high-profile businessmen
- a major sovereign wealth fund in relation to very substantial arbitral claims against an offshore investment manager
- Lehman Brothers Finance SA (In Liquidation) in relation to a range of proprietary and secured claims arising out of the collapse of the Lehman Group
- a leading multi-national company in relation to claims for breach of contract against a department of Her Majesty's Government
Chris holds a Bachelor of Science (First Class) from the University of Bristol (1999) and obtained Distinctions for the CPE and LPC from the University of Exeter (2001) and the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (2002) respectively.
He was admitted as a solicitor in September 2004, has been a solicitor advocate since October 2007 and became a partner in 2014.