Cameron has specialized investigations and compliance for the past 16 years and his extensive experience covers the full suite of investigations issues (corruption, fraud, misconduct) as well as compliance (anti-bribery and corruption due diligence and advisory) and regulatory (sanctions, anti-money laundering and related offences) matters. Cameron has been involved in a wide range of regulatory matters, FCPA and UK Bribery Act investigations and compliance advice and due diligence, anti-money laundering compliance and representing clients facing government or regulatory enforcement action. He has worked in multiple African jurisdictions, the UK, East Asia, Europe and the United States on a variety of investigations and has provided advice to regulators in South Africa, the United States and the UK.
Cameron's broad depth of experience in the South African and African market, coupled with his international exposure and experience, provides a unique service offering to clients seeking a local South African or global perspective concerning investigations and compliance issues. Supported by Herbert Smith Freehills' global Corporate Crime and Investigations practice, Cameron is well placed to provide clients with local expertise with added the benefit of drawing the expertise of lawyers in the firm's global offices. Due to the international nature of investigations, this is of great value to clients seeking seamless service in multiple jurisdictions as well as clients who appreciate the benefit of a firm with investigations experience and dealings with regulators the world over.
Cameron is well known in the investigations market in South Africa and has good relationships with subject matter experts (such as computer forensic specialists and forensic accountants) and is able to draw on these experts where their skillsets are required.
Cameron's recent experience includes:
- representing a European headquartered electronic systems manufacturer – in a highly publicised criminal trial proceedings in relation to corruption charges brought by the South African authorities against the company's South African subsidiary
- a Japanese TYO-listed company in relation to allegations of fraud and corruption arising from a major transaction in South Africa
- International Money Remittance Company – Appointed by the U.S. Department of Justice-appointed Corporate Compliance Monitor to perform oversight functions concerning the company’s AML compliance in the African region
- European headquartered utility and energy company – in relation to a complex internal investigation concerning allegations of fraud, corruption and money laundering involving senior management within one of the company's African subsidiaries
- represented a NYSE-listed company in connection with a high-profile investigation into allegations of corruption involving a major South African State-Owned Entity. Subsequent representation of the company in the USA in respect of an SEC investigation pursuant to a voluntary self-disclosure by the company to the SEC related to concerns over potential contraventions of the US FCPA
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Cameron was a Partner in the Governance, Compliance & Investigations practice of one of the major South African law firms, having previously been in the forensic department of one of the big 4 audit firms.