Based in Johannesburg, Brigette focuses on project development and financing aspects of projects across Africa, having worked in jurisdictions such as Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia, Kenya, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Lesotho.
Brigette also works with clients on transactions across the infrastructure, energy and mining sectors.
Chambers Global 2015 describes Brigette as "one of the most well-known names in the projects and energy field in Johannesburg, where she heads the firm's project finance and energy and infrastructure groups. One source said: 'She is very dynamic and instrumental in driving the process',” and "Brigette Baillie is a stalwart of the market and is known for her extensive experience and effective counsel. One source commented: 'She's a tough negotiator. She works hard for her clients'."
According to Legal 500, in the area of Banking and Finance: "in Brigette Baillie [the firm has] an internationally renowned practitioner".
Brigette’s recent accolades include rankings as:
- a Star Individual for Projects & Energy - South Africa
Chambers Global 2015
- a Leading Lawyer for Projects & Energy – Africa-wide
Chambers Global 2015
- a leading lawyer in South Africa (Projects: Project Finance/PPP)
Chambers Global 2011-2012
- a leading lawyer for Banking & Project Finance
- a leading lawyer for Banking & Finance, Concessions and Projects
IFLR Energy & Infrastructure, Sub Saharan Africa, 2013-2014
- an expert in her field by Legal Experts EMEA 2012 -2014
- a leading lawyer for Project Finance by Legal 500 2012-2014
Brigette’s recent experience includes advising:
- South African government (National Treasury and Department of Energy) in respect of REIPP programme
- Standard Bank and Nedbank on the restructuring and refinancing of the Sasol Mozambique Pipeline Company, ROMPCO
- Bombela on all legal aspects of the bid preparation for the Gautrain Rapid Light Rail PPP
- Standard Bank and Nedbank on the debt facilities required to finance the development and exploitation of the Dangote Sephaku limestone quarry and the development of a cement plant in South Africa
- Standard Bank and Standard Chartered on the new financing for Konkola Copper Mine in Zamibia
Brigette holds BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town, an LLM (Corporate and Commercial Law) from Kings College, London University and an LLM (Tax) from the University of the Witwatersrand.