Alex handles all aspects of insurance coverage disputes, commercial litigation and contentious regulatory investigations. He heads the ﬁrm's market leading Alternative Dispute Resolution practice. He is a solicitor advocate and a CEDR accredited mediator.
He is particularly known for his work with clients in the energy and natural resources sector where he has represented policyholders on many of the largest losses in the London and international insurance markets, assisting clients to recover hundreds of millions of dollars from insurers through negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration.
Alex established and leads the firm's Decision Analysis service helping our clients take more rigorous decisions on a range of contentious matters.
Alex's recent experience includes advising:
- Single Buoy Moorings Inc in Commercial Court proceedings on a US$1.3 billion construction all risks insurance claim concerning the Yme platform in the North Sea
- a global pharmaceutical company in an insurance arbitration in relation to a D&O insurance claim
- a wind farm operator on property damage and business interruption insurance claims
- a major power company on property damage and business interruption claims at a biomass-fueled power station
- BP in relation to insurance recoveries following the Deepwater Horizon loss
- Monoline insurer Financial Guaranty Insurance Company in a US$200 million claim against the German bank IKB arising out of guarantee arrangements in support of a complex structured ﬁnance transaction
- a FTSE 100 company on recoveries under professional indemnity and D&O policies following regulatory investigations into investment funds in the Channel Islands
- BP and over 30 joint venture partners in a US$230 million coverage dispute with underwriters and brokers over an oﬀshore construction all risks open cover facility
Legal 500 UK and Chambers UK have ranked Alex as a Leading Individual for Insurance Litigation for Policyholders for many years. He is described in Legal 500 UK 2020 as a 'brilliant technical lawyer but also approachable, commercially savvy and a pleasure to deal with' whilst Chambers UK 2020 describes him as 'first class in every respect'.
Alex has an MA from Cambridge University in law. He was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1997 and made a partner in 2004.