Anne has a strategic approach to resolving disputes, aiming for a negotiated outcome where possible. She has completed secondments to two major Australian financial institutions which has given her a strong understanding of the sector.
Anne has been involved in a range of complex commercial litigation matters for clients in numerous sectors and jurisdictions in Australia, Asia Pacific, Europe and North America, with a particular focus on financial services.
She also has significant international arbitration experience, having represented corporations and states in a variety of commercial and treaty arbitrations, including under the rules of the LCIA, ICC and UNCITRAL, and governed by a variety of governing laws (both common and civil law).
Anne’s experience includes advising:
- A gaming organisation on an insurance claim for a temporary loss of IT
- A renewable energy company in relation to its contractual obligations to maintain certain insurance cover
- A construction company on its potential claim under a professional indemnity insurance policy
- A financial institution on potential claims under a trade credit insurance policy
- An Australian financial institution in its investigation by the Australian financial regulator, ASIC, including an investigation into the potential wrongdoing of individuals
- A global payment systems organisation in proceedings brought against it by the Australian competition commission, ACCC, and follow-on proceedings brought by a third party
- An Australian food manufacturer in its dispute with a supplier
- A contractor in its dispute with a sub-contractor over a landmark sporting arena in London
- A big four accountancy firm in an investigation by numerous regulatory bodies into the firm’s audit work of a large investment bank
- A German software company in LCIA proceedings against its former joint venture partner, a large US bank
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Anne has worked in the disputes practice of a leading law firm in London and Paris.
Anne is a German national with law degrees from Germany, the USA, England and Australia. She is admitted to practice in the USA, England & Wales and Australia. She speaks English and German and some French.