Paul is joint managing partner of the global disputes practice.
Paul is Joint Managing Partner of the global disputes practice and works with clients on all aspects of insurance and professional negligence disputes. He assists policyholders, insurers and brokers with claims under liability policies including professional indemnity, public liability, directors and oﬃcers, Bermuda form and crime. Paul also assists clients with political and credit risk policies. Paul recently led the firm's team representing the FCA in the business interruption test case that went to the Supreme Court in late 2020.
Paul has extensive experience of professional negligence claims. He has defended a range of professionals including insurance brokers, pensions intermediaries, solicitors, accountants and valuers.
Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK have ranked Paul as a Hall of Fame/Leading Individual for Insurance Litigation for Policyholders for many years. He is described in Legal 500 UK 2023 as a 'at the top of his game' and 'formidably quick and very detail-oriented'.
Experience & expertise
- the FCA representing policyholder interests in the Supreme Court in the business interruption test case in 2020
- one of the world's leading mining companies on all aspects of insurance recoveries under its public liability insurance programme following a major disaster
- Marsh McLennan on a number of their most signiﬁcant claims, including assisting with disputes and regulatory matters in diﬀerent jurisdictions such as Australia, South America, Norway, France, Canada and the United States
- a leading ﬁnancial institution on a major "Side C" D+O claim, thought to be one of the largest in the London market
- Ernst & Young, as administrators of Nortel’s European, Middle Eastern and African entities, in handling insurance-coverage aspects of the administration
- numerous firms of solicitors with claims from pension trustees and sponsoring companies
- a leading retail bank in handling coverage issues arising out of sub-prime litigation both in the US and UK
- a leading company market insurer on its participation on a liability programme in respect of claims arising out of a European rail disaster