John is a partner in the firm’s award-winning and top tier ranked Banking Litigation practice in the United Kingdom. Based in London, he specialises in banking and cross-border disputes.
John also offers insight into in-house legal operations, having been seconded to a number of major banks both in the UK and abroad in recent years, where he worked on various high-profile national and cross-border contentious issues.
John advises banks on substantial pieces of litigation. He has worked extensively on a portfolio of High Court claims, defending a major UK bank from allegations of mis-selling interest rate hedging products. He has also advised on a series of large-scale banking disputes, including a £400 million claim against a major bank, involving allegations of fraud.
In addition to his banking disputes work, John has advised on a wide variety of international disputes for a variety of clients, including fraud, joint venture disputes, off-shore proceedings and disputes arising from corporate transactions.
Having worked in our Moscow office, John also has experience of Russian and offshore litigation – including working with a global bank’s Russian desk on the enforcement of security, and with another bank defending a multimillion-dollar claim in the Russian courts.
He regularly publishes articles on recent Court decisions in the banking sector.
Experience & expertise
- advising a major UK bank on a portfolio of claims arising out of the sale of interest rate hedging products
- advised a global bank on an investigation arising from the so-called Panama Papers leaks
- advising an investment bank on a US$1.9bn arbitration claim arising from a joint venture dispute in the Middle East
- a UK bank on a £139million claim against it by a leisure group
- a secondment to a global investment bank, where he worked on a series of high-profile investigations and litigation
- a secondment to a major UK retail bank, where he worked on a multi-jurisdictional investigation into alleged Libor manipulation