Jean is a competition partner with over 25 years' experience.
Jean works with clients on all aspects of competition law, including merger control, cartel and other prohibited practice investigations, exemption applications and competition compliance. She has knowledge of the competition laws of many African countries and regularly helps clients with multi-jurisdictional African mergers.
Global Competition Review (GCR), a publication covering regulators, economists and competition lawyers around the world, recognises Jean as one of the "top 100 women in antitrust".
She is recognised as a leading competition lawyer by Chambers and Partners, GCR, Legal 500, IFLR 1000 and the Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law.
Chambers and Partners describes Jean as "one of the pre-eminent competition lawyers in South Africa" and "outstanding - she's clever, strategic and has a lot of experience to use to her benefit".
Jean is a member of the Competition Law Committee of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces in South Africa.
Experience & expertise
- acting for a major bank in opposing an interim relief application to prevent the closure of customer bank accounts
- acting for two respondents in the complaint initiated by the South African Competition Commission and referred to the Competition Tribunal in respect of alleged price fixing by foreign currency traders
- acting for an online food delivery platform in the Online Markets Inquiry in South Africa
- advised an FMCG company in relation to allegations of excessive pricing, unfair pricing and price discrimination in Zambia
- acted for a South African poultry producer in securing clearance for its hostile takeover of a competitor in South Africa
- acted for an international pharmaceutical company in a request for consideration (similar to an appeal) to obtain the removal of conditions imposed on a merger in South Africa