James is a commercial litigator in dispute resolution and a partner in our London office.
James is a solicitor advocate and has been helping clients for over 30 years with commercial disputes in the High Court and Appellate Courts, as well as with competition litigation, arbitrations, mediations, completion accounts disputes and expert determinations. James works with clients in a number of sectors including energy, IT, media, and financial services.
Legal 500 UK 2023 cites James in the Energy (Power) and the IT and Telecoms categories, and in 2022 cited him as a key lawyer in the Commercial Litigation: Premium category. Chambers UK 2021 ranks James as a Leading Individual in the information technology sector.
James lectures on a number of legal topics and is a co-author of Kendall on Expert Determination (5th Edition).
Experience & expertise
- Iveco and Fiat Chrysler as coordinating and UK competition litigation counsel in relation to follow-on damages claims stemming from the European Commission's settlement decision in Trucks, one of the most high profile competition infringement and follow-on damages cases in Europe
- a major UK energy provider on a dispute relating to a North Sea joint operating agreement
- an Asian pharmaceutical company on LCIA arbitrations arising out of a business sale
- a major international IT supplier on a substantial sub-contractor dispute under an IT systems development and outsourcing agreement
- a major public company on a substantial breach of warranty claim relating to a joint venture in a manufacturing business