Kristin is responsible for leading Herbert Smith Freehills in Asia and Australia.
As Executive Partner, Kristin is passionate about driving the firm’s ambitious strategy, cementing Herbert Smith Freehills’ reputation as a market leader and building on our unrelenting client-focus and high-performance, collaborative culture.
She works closely with the firm’s clients, both in her personal practice role and as a regional leader.
Kristin advises clients on significant intellectual property and transactional matters across a range of sectors including the consumer, technology, pharmaceutical/healthcare and financial institutions sectors.
She works with clients on commercialisation, IP agreements, IP structuring, IP advice and on the IP and technology aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures.
Kristin has 25 years of experience and works on matters across Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, US, UK and Europe.
Kristin has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Sydney and a Master of Laws (Intellectual Property) with Distinction from London School of Economics specialising in international and comparative copyright.
A range of international reviews recognise Kristin’s experience including Chambers, Managing Intellectual Property, Top Global 250 Licensing Lawyers, Legal500, WTR 1000, Best Lawyers Australia and the WIPR (World Intellectual Property Review) Leaders directory.
These reviews recognise Kristin as a specialist in commercial IP transactions and her involvement in IP commercialisation and IP aspects of M&A transactions.
They comment that Kristin is ‘very popular with clients…fantastic in the IP space’, ‘very thorough, organised, prompt, and knowledgeable’, ‘her high-flying transactional practice has earned her a reputation as one of the country’s best corporate IP lawyers’ and she ‘brings superb cross-border insight to a host of commercialisation matters throughout Asia-Pacific’.
Experience & expertise
- Suncorp in relation to the IP aspects of the proposed sale of Suncorp Bank to ANZ
- Seven West Media on the IP aspects of its acquisition of Prime Media
- Boral in relation to the IP aspects of its joint venture with USG and exit
- Allegro in relation to the IP aspects of its acquisition of Toll Global Express
- a leading media company on its content deals including in M&A deals, various online joint ventures, standalone content deals, new media exploitation, licensing of titles and contents
- a number of international consumer companies on various IP matters including the IP aspects of sales of major businesses, technology and brand licences, international IP restructures, sales of products, franchising agreements, collaboration agreements, evaluation and research agreements
- various healthcare and pharmaceutical companies on licensing and commercial agreements
- various technology companies around commercialisation strategies and licensing
- private equity investors on the IP aspects of various acquisitions and investments including brand split structures
- a number of universities and corporates on Research & Development commercialisation