Graeme is the Asia head of corporate. He is a cross-border M&A specialist, regularly advising on some of the highest profile international transactions
An M&A specialist, Graeme has 15 years of experience of advising Japanese and international clients on their cross-border investments, including mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Graeme has extensive experience of advising on investments in South East Asia, Europe, Africa, India and other emerging markets.
Graeme is licensed to advise in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (外国法事務弁護士).
Graeme's practice focuses on advising clients on their outbound transactions into emerging markets. He previously practiced in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore and London, giving Graeme a truly global experience and unique insight which he applies to his advice to clients. He is sought after for his M&A experience across a range of sectors, particularly within the TMT, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and manufacturing sectors.
Graeme is particularly reknown for his expertise on Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) matters. He advises clients on the full scope of non-contentious TMT matters, including TMT M&A, licensing, data privacy and information governance, transfer agreements, outsourcing, and commercial and regulatory advice. Graeme draws upon his first-hand experience having previously worked as General Counsel for Hutchison CP Telecom Indonesia PT, as well as an in-house lawyer on secondment to BskyB and ESPN Star Sports. He has been recognised by Legal 500 as the standalone leading individual (foreign lawyers) for TMT in Japan since 2016.
He is a market-leading TMT lawyer highlighted by Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2016 as the only leading individual (foreign lawyers) for TMT in Japan. Graeme is "very well known in the telecoms industry and is one of the best lawyers" (IFLR 1000, 2014).
Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 describes Graeme as "straight-forward, responsive and issue-oriented".
Graeme is licensed to advise in Japan as a Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi.
Experience & expertise
- SoftBank Group Corp. on its US$250 million investment in GrabTaxi Holdings Pte Ltd., and its US$100 million investment in Indonesian e-commerce marketplace PT Tokopedia
- Horiba Ltd., a listed Japan-based technology and scientific solutions group, on its acquisition of the business assets and certain subsidiaries of MIRA (a UK-based vehicle engineering and consultancy company) in an auction bid process
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of an interest in healthcare provider International Columbia U.S. LLC
- IDEC Corporation, a listed Japanese manufacturer of control equipment and factory automation system products, on its acquisition of France-based MMI Technologies
- JFE Steel Corporation and Marubeni-Itochu Steel Inc. on their US$300 million joint venture with Senaat to establish a welded steel pipe manufacturing joint venture in Abu Dhabi.