George is a patent litigator with particular expertise in pharmaceuticals.
George joined the London office in 2018 from Australia, having worked in the intellectual property teams at Ashurst and MinterEllison. George was admitted to practice in Australia in 2013, and received his Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) and Bachelor of Science (with Honours in Chemistry) in 2012.
George has experience in both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters, including numerous patent litigation trials across both Australia and Europe. He also has experience defending and prosecuting patent applications and granted patents before IP Australia and the European Patent Office, including opposition proceedings at the EPO.
In the life sciences space, George has worked for most of the major pharmaceutical companies including Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG and Genentech, Sanofi, Mylan Health, and Pfizer and Hospira. This work has involved the commencement and defence of infringement and revocation actions, including coordination work across various European jurisdictions, and freedom to operate opinions.
- "Mechanistic Details of the Membrane Perforation and Passive Translocation of TAT Peptides", ChemPlusChem (2015) 80(1), 83-90
- "A mechanistic investigation of cell-penetrating Tat peptides with supported lipid membranes", Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Biomembranes (2011), 1808(7), 1811-1817
- "QCM-D fingerprinting of membrane-active peptides", European Biophysics Journal (2011), 40(4), 437-446
- "Solution Structure and Membrane Interactions of the Antimicrobial Peptide Fallaxidin 4.1a: An NMR and QCM Study", Biochemistry (2009), 48(50), 11892-11901
George graduated from Monash University in Australia with first class honours in Law and Science, and completed his Honours thesis in Chemistry on "Artificial Cells for Drug Delivery". He has authored four publications in peer-reviewed science journals and worked as a chemistry research assistant for a number of years. George is admitted to practice in Australia.
Experience & expertise
- AstraZeneca on litigation in Australia involving its blockbuster cholesterol lowering drug Rosuvastatin (Crestor®) and proton-pump inhibitor esomeprazole (Nexium®)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb on litigation in Australia involving its patent portfolio covering cancer immunotherapy treatment using an anti-PD-1 inhibitor
- Mylan Health on litigation in Australia involving its lipid regulating drug Fenofibrate (Lipidil®)
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG and Genentech on litigation in the UK and the Netherlands involving its blockbuster cancer treatment Bevacizumab (Avastin®).