With time running out until the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force on 25 May 2018, all businesses need to act now to ensure their supplier and customer contracts are GDPR-ready and to reduce the risk of sanctions for non-compliance of up to 4% of global annual turnover.
What is re-papering?
The GDPR requires all your commercial contracts involving personal data to be amended by 25 May 2018 to include new mandatory provisions, including in relation to:
- ensuring that people processing the data are subject to a duty of confidence;
- taking appropriate measures to ensure the security of processing and cyber security more generally;
- promoting compliance with GDPR obligations;
- submitting to audits and inspections; and
- providing timely and relevant information.
How can Herbert Smith Freehills help?
Our data protection and privacy practice is comprised of a global cross-practice team of leading experts in the field of data protection, privacy and cyber security. We are already advising a broad range of clients on key aspects of their GDPR compliance programmes, including re-papering.
We are uniquely placed to design and implement highly time-efficient, value for money GDPR repapering projects due to our innovative and market-leading Alternative Legal Services (ALT) capability.
We have extensive experience:
- designing robust process-driven re-papering strategies;
- building key tools and playbooks to undertake a successful repapering;
- negotiating contract amendments with counterparties on clients' behalf; and
- providing end-to-end legal project management for re-papering
What is ALT?
Our ALT team, based in key hubs such as Belfast, Johannesburg, Australia and China, delivers high-quality, cost-efficient managed legal services for document intensive, defined-process work.
ALT is specifically designed to assist large corporate companies with efficient delivery of large scale re-papering exercises, aided by cutting-edge technology.
All our ALT work is subject to the same regulation and quality standards as any other HSF work, and enables clients to implement compliance-driven repapering projects affordably and seamlessly.