Every year across the firm we celebrate the UN World Environment Day (5th June) with a week-long series of events. Daily activities during HSF Environment Week include talks, wearing green to raise awareness and fundraise, climate change debates, communications on what people can do to become more environmentally friendly at work meat-free days and visual paper stacks that represent the amount of paper used in a week.
Across our network, we're working to reduce our environmental impact all through the year. Recent examples from around our offices include:
- Hong Kong launched a Go Green! team to drive their sustainability initiatives;
- Seoul banned single-use plastic water bottles;
- New York stopped providing paper coffee cups;
- Reducing the use of single-use plastic items;
- Sydney hand-collected and recycled 40,000 paper coffee cups;
- Shanghai swapped local subscriptions of hard-copy newspapers for online versions;
- Moscow switched to environmentally sustainable pens made from recycled materials;
- German staff enjoy fruit from Fruitful Office, which plants one tree per fruit basket in Malawi, Africa; and
- Belfast teamed up with the UN Global Compact Network to hold a roadshow on the UN's Sustainable Development Goals, in which local businesses explained how they align their activities and strategies with the goals, and the benefits of doing so.