“We know that diversity and inclusion encourages innovation by harnessing the strength of our different ways of thinking and working. Ensuring we have a diverse and inclusive workplace is a key priority for me, and I am proud to champion our initiatives in this space.” - Mark Rigotti
We value all of the differences that make each of us at Herbert Smith Freehills unique.
Our vision is to...
and retain top talent from a diverse range of people and enable them to perform to their full potential
for our clients and our business through the contribution of diverse perspectives
with our clients via our diversity and inclusion programmes and be best placed to meet the needs of a diverse client base across global markets
all our people to connect, collaborate, excel and lead to create a global inclusive culture
Our approach to diversity and inclusion is driven by our Leading for Inclusion 2018-21 strategy.
The successful implementation of our diversity and inclusion strategy relies on a structure that creates a consistent and inclusive global experience. Our Diversity and Inclusion Policy supports our strategy.
Read more about our structure and governance.
Our diversity networks are a key way of engaging our people in our diversity and inclusion programmes and delivering our objectives.
We recently launched our Asia Multicultural Network with a video series titled “Where are you from?” – watch the videos here
Read more about our diversity networks.
We set gender targets in 2014 and have made encouraging progress since then. We are increasing the gender balance in our partnership and we’ve opened up the conversation about how we advance the careers of talented women in our firm.
Some of the initiatives we’ve undertaken to increase the gender balance in our partnership include:
- Addressing unconscious bias and developing our inclusive leadership capability to create an inclusive culture
- Scrutiny of our talent pipeline to ensure we are developing all of our talent to success through development support, mentoring and sponsorship
- Creating more flexibility through agile working
- Focusing on what every partner can do to make a difference
We monitor our progress by participating in market benchmarks, and benchmark ourselves against industry best practice. We are proud of the following achievements:
- Stonewall Top 100 Employers (2009 - 2018)
- Pride in Diversity Australian Workplace Equality Index Silver Tier employer (2018)
- Social Mobility Employer Index, Top 50 (2017-2018)
- The Times Top 50 Employers for Women (2015 - 2017)
- Employer of Choice for Gender Equality - Australia’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency [a statutory government agency] (2016- 2017)
- GradAustralia &The Australian Top 100 Graduate Employer, number one Legal Sector Recruiter (2015 - 2017)
- Lawyers Weekly Employer of Choice Survey - number one “attraction firm” for potential employees (2015 - 2017)
- Morgan Stanley Asia Pacific Outside Counsel Diversity Award (2017)
- Stonewall Global Employers for LGBT inclusion (2015 - 2017)
- Working with Pride Index – Gold Ranking (2017)
- Community Business Hong Kong LGBT+ Inclusion Index (2015, 2017)